Thursday, December 29, 2011

Writing Exercise #1 - Introductions

I am a young man interested in continuously learning and growing as a person.  This is why I decided to serve the community through my commitment to AmeriCorps.  Through my service I hope to acquire new skills and experiences that will enrich my life in meaningful and lasting ways.  Already, in my time as a teacher at Neighborhood House I have helped people to learn useful skills and in turn have learned about them and myself.  The differences and shared aspects of our lives have shed light on who we are as a community and who we are as human beings.  I know the experience will influence the decisions I make and the course of my life for years to come as I help to build a supportive global community where we all can thrive.



Please post a comment with an anonymous paragraph about yourself, your goals that have brought you to this class and what you hope to gain from this experience.  Use the following questions to help you develop the paragraph.

1)  What is something in your life you are passionate about, how would you describe yourself in one sentence? (parenthood, equality, learning, meeting people, etc)

2)  How does this thing you are passionate about affect your life? What do you do because you are this way? (volunteering, going to school, working two jobs)

3)  Why are you here in this class?  Why are you studying to get your GED?

4)  What have you learned or gained from your hard work already? (confidence, friends, passed tests)

5)  What do you expect to gain through achieving your GED?  How will it benefit your life?


6 comments:

  1. I’m a Father of two beautiful daughters. I’m very passionate about bettering myself, to insure my kids have good lives growing up! They affect my life by making me want to take the initiative in getting a better education. This is why I’m here today trying to get my G.E.D. I decided to take this class so I can start looking forward in my life for better opportunities. So far I’ve learned that if I would of just did the work handed to me when I was younger. I could have already accomplished this. Once I’ve passed my G.E.D. I will look ahead for an even higher education…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very passionate about helping people with whatever I can and learning more so I can better myself and become a productive member of society. I attend GED classes in the morning and dedicate the rest of the day to taking care of my daughter. I sometimes volunteer over the weekend at my local church. I am in this class because I want to get my GED so I can go on to getting a higher education. I can be an inspiration to my daughter so she can see that anything is possible when you set your mind to it. I have already passed 2 of my GED tests and am looking forward to passing the rest by this summer. Getting my GED will benefit me because I will be able to get a job easier and that way I will be able to move on to getting a better education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very passionate about passing my GED test. I am a very goal oriented person. I like to strive to be the best I can be. Not having my GED affects my life in many ways. A few examples are not being able to get a job or attend college. I am attending these classes to gain the necessary skills in order to pass the GED test so that I can find a job and hopefully attend college in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two things I am passionate about is music and my family. I guess I was raised to be there for my family at all times and I just love music it’s a big part of my life I don’t know what I would do without these two things. The reason I want to get my g.e.d is because going back to school isn’t really a option for me right now and now a days you need a diploma or g.ed to do anything in this world plus it would make my parents happy. I guess I haven’t really gained much so far I’m a smart person when I put my mind to it but I haven’t really put my mind to it if you know what I mean. I could say I finally did something with my life also I could put it on job applications it will increase my chances of getting a job I could just say that I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m a young Black Male Hoo is very passionate About bettering my people one. Of the ways I like doing it is by Music & Fashion. The way it affect my life is a everyday struggle try to go to school and use my nalog to help teach other. Aim getting my G.e.d to help father my situation & I have learned a lot about myself others and more. I expect to be more respected more helpful and look up to by my peers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a woman ready to get back in to the workforce. Up until now, I have been dedicated full time as wife and mother to my four children. By taking this GED class I’m hoping to gain confidence, skills and with some luck, hopefully, new friends. Passing my GED tests will improve my life in many different ways, first, I will gain knowledge, which will help me further my education and improve my quality of life for me and my family, second, I will have proof that is never too late to better yourself with hard work and the help of generous people who enjoy seen the triumph of others.

    ReplyDelete